Sunday, May 17, 2015

A Beginning For a Christist Criticism


[NOTE: So, I've spent the last couple of years teaching, researching, and writing my dissertation. I have written things down and continued developing this method, but I haven't posted anything in the last couple of years. I've decided its time to start doing so again in case anyone stumbles across this blog and is interested in using Christ to center their critical engagement with the world. . .

I've dated the next couple of posts with the date that I wrote them, and I will try to post them in the order of composition.]


Tuesday, September 16, 2014

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
Matthew 6:24 (see also Luke 16: 13; 3 Nephi 13:24).

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
(Joshua 24:15)

This is a good beginning: the fact that there are many gods in the world, whether we call them gods or not. A Christist criticism, then, would first and foremost seek to find the things that are gods and give them their proper name, and discover their modes of worship, to be sure that our ideas and our object of worship is God, not mammon.

Burke and Weaver and their concept of “god terms” and “devil terms” is a good, initial guide or critical lens for this kind of inquiry.


No comments:

Post a Comment